Table of Contents
Planning Maestro Plans are editable views or displays of data in which you build your budgets. After creating the Dimensions or building blocks of your company (including your account numbers, departments, products, and anything else you want to budget for) you can deploy or publish the Plan to begin building your budget.
The Centage Team helps you set up your first Plan. After the initial setup, redeploy this Plan whenever you upload data or edit your Base Structures and Dimensions.
This document shows you, a Planning Maestro user, how to:
- Redeploy (republish) a Plan from the Data Modeler to include updated data.
- Permanently delete a Plan (if necessary).
Locating Your Plan
To redeploy your Plan, open the Data Modeler module, connect to your Profile, and select Deploy Data Model.
The Deploy Data page opens. Use this page to deploy or redeploy Plans.
Redeploying Your Plan
When you upload CIF (Centage Integration Format) Files with new data or make other changes to your Dimensions, redeploy any Cubes or Plans that have those Dimensions.
Step 1: If you want to edit the Plan before redeploying it, on the Deploy Data page, click on the Plan’s name.
Step 2: The Plan opens. Click Select Dimensions.
On the Select Dimensions page, edit your Dimension selections as needed.
Account Dimension – The Account Number Dimension for this Plan
Time Dimension – The Time Dimension (fiscal calendar structure) for this Plan
Version Dimension – The Version Dimension for this Plan
Currency (optional) – The Currency Dimension for this Plan
Select Other Dimensions – In this table:
Click on every unselected Dimension you want to include in this Plan (for example, Entity, Product, Ingredient, Customer, Program, etc.).
A Selected icon ( ) appears next to every Dimension you choose. The Dimension turns green.
- You can add Dimensions, but you cannot remove Dimensions from an existing Plan.
- You cannot add Dimensions that have duplicate names, even if those names use different capitalization (ex. dimension vs. DIMENSION).
Instead, create a merged Base Structure that includes all the Members of both Dimensions. Planning Maestro automatically creates a Dimension from that Base Structure. Include this new Dimension in your deployment.
Click Select Data Version.
If you added a Dimension to this Plan, a confirmation message appears. Click Confirm.
The Data Versions page appears.
Selecting Data Versions
Select Data Version – In this table, select all the Versions (usually just your Actuals) you want to include in this Plan. When you select a Version, the row turns green in the table and a Selected icon ( ) appears beside it.
Select GL Source(s) to Deploy
Select one of the following radio buttons:
- Always deploy all GL sources – Select this radio button to deploy data from all the GL Sources in your GL Source Dimension.
- Deploy only selected GL Sources – To streamline your deployment and only deploy data you plan to use, select certain GL Sources to deploy. First, select the Deploy only selected GL sources option. Then, select which GL Sources you want to include in this deployment.
Selecting a Data Level to Deploy
Select Data Level to Deploy – Select one of the following radio buttons:
- Deploy Summary Data – Select this radio button to deploy a summary of your transactions for each Base Structure (debit, credit, and/or amount).
- Deploy Transaction Data – Select this radio button to deploy all transactions for each Base Structure.
Please Note: If you do not select a date range for this deployment, Planning Maestro deploys all dates by default.
Date Range Selection
Select Date Range to Deploy – Select one of the following radio buttons:
- Deploy All – Deploy all date ranges in these Versions.
- Deploy Specific Date Range – Select this radio button to deploy a specific date range. If you select this option, new fields appear below:
Click on these dropdown menus to select the Start Period, Start Year, End Period, and End Year for this range of data.
Please Note: Make sure the End Period and End Year are later than the Start Period and Start Year.
After you select Data Versions, you can:
Click Deploy to redeploy the Plan as it is,
Click Select Dimension Overrides to select default Dimension Members for certain Dimensions.
Configuring Dimension Overrides (Optional)
(optional) Use the Configure Dimension Overrides page to set up a default Dimension Member for line items from certain Dimensions.
For example, you can set up the deployment so that every new line item linked to the Product Dimension automatically links to a certain product.
Please Note: Configuring Dimension Overrides is an optional best practice if you have certain Dimension with Members that will be linked to more line items than other Member.
- To set up a Dimension Override, click on the dropdown menu next to a Dimension and select a default Member.
- If you do not want to set up a default Member for a Dimension, leave the selection as None.
Now, you can:
Click Deploy to redeploy the Plan.
Click Select Equity Settings to manage settings for Retained Earnings and Balancing Entries.
Click Preview to preview this Plan.
Configuring Equity Settings (optional)
(optional) If you clicked Equity Settings, use the Select Equity Settings page to manage how Planning Maestro treats your Retained Earnings and balances your transactions.
Planning Maestro stores your Retained Earnings, or net income, as one line item you can see in your Balance Sheet and other reports that include equity. To select which Dimension Members that Retained Earnings line item is linked to (for example, one office from your Office Dimension, one program from your Program Dimension, and so on), click on the dropdown menu next to each Dimension and choose a Dimension Member.
Please Note: For your Account Number Dimension, you can only select an Equity account.
If you do not select any Dimension Members here, Retained Earnings will be linked to the default Member for each Dimension. For your Account Number Dimension, the default account for Retained Earnings is (Undesignated) Equity.
Configuring Balancing Entries
Planning Maestro automatically balances each transaction and line item you enter, making sure that debits equal credits. Occasionally, some transactions may not balance: for example, if you exclude certain Dimension Members before deploying, you can also exclude data needed to balance your transactions.
The default Balancing Entries are Undesignated (Monetary), Undesignated (Asset), etc. Use this page to select different Balancing Entries as needed.
Please Note: Your Balancing Entries should always have an amount of 0 (to show that your accounts are balanced). Use the Data Preview to check on the amount in your Balancing Entries before deploying.
After setting up your deployment, click Preview to preview your deployment to check for inconsistencies, inaccuracies, or missing data.
Previewing Your Data
A data preview appears.
Use the options on the Preview Data page to preview your data. Click Refresh to implement your changes.
- Detail View – To view the details for each transaction, or the individual account transactions for each Dimension Member, leave this toggle switch ON. To see only the results for each Dimension Member, click on this toggle switch to turn it to the OFF position.
- Version – Click on this dropdown menu and select the Version you want to view.
- Data Type – Select one of these radio buttons:
Financial – Select this radio button to see financial accounts.
Non-Financial – Select this radio button to see statistical accounts.
- Start Period, Start Year, End Period, End Year – Click on these dropdown menus to change the date range of transactions in your view.
Please Note: Depending on the structure of your Time Dimension, you may have 12 or 13 normal periods (type P) to choose from as well as the Beginning Balance (BB) and Closing period (C).
- Export to Excel – Click on Export to Excel to examine this preview in an Excel spreadsheet.
- Refresh – Click Refresh when you finish making your changes.
- Deploy – When you are satisfied with this preview, click Deploy to redeploy.
A confirmation message appears. Click Confirm.
The deployment begins.
If this redeployment takes a long time, you can click on the Refresh button ( ) on the Plan’s deployment card to refresh its status and check its progress.
The deployment status updates.
When the deployment is finished:
- A confirmation message appears.
- Any updates to your Dimensions are reflected in the Plan.
You cannot recover deleted Plans. Before deleting a Plan, discuss your options with your Centage Consultant.
Step 1: To open the Deploy Data page, open the Data Modeler and select Deploy Data.
Step 2: To delete a Plan, click the Delete icon ( ) under it.
Step 3: A popup message appears. After you make sure you will never need this Plan again, enter “DELETE” in the field provided and click Confirm.
- A confirmation message appears.
- The Plan is deleted.